How to Leave a Comment on Our Blog

HOW TO LEAVE A COMMENT ON THIS BLOG
1. Scroll to the end of the post.
2. Click on the phrase "0 comments" or, if there are comments it will indicate how many, for example, "8 comments." Clicking on this will open the comment option for you.
3. Type in your note.
4. Choose your Profile. If you don't understand the choices under Profile then choose Anonymous but PLEASE type your name and location at the bottom of your comment so I know who you are!

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Dear Kevin: This is a Tapp Sandwich!

   After reading the last post, Kevin in Derby who reads our blog regularly asked in a comment, "And what pray tell is a Tapp Sandwich?"  Here is the answer with a bit of history: back in 1996 I lived in Spokane, Washington and worked for Spokane Public Radio (think U.S. version of the BBC radio). I was a single parent with two children to raise, college loans to pay off, and my wages were a miserly $15,000.00 a year.
   A very upscale, rustic bakery called Fugazzi's, owned by the boutique Hotel Lusso opened up on Monroe Street nearby. The smell of fresh baked loaves of Pan Rustica and the enticing scene in the window of their deli sandwich bar drew me in despite the $8.99 price tag of a lunch plate.
   I ordered the Tapp Sandwich and it was delicious. I saw immediately how I could make these sandwiches on my own for far less money, baking my own bread and using condiments from my garden. Everyone who has ever tried one is bowled over by the unlikely combination of ingredients--and how amazingly delicious they are! I give you...
The Tapp Sandwich:
4 and a 1/2 Tablespoons of mayonnaise
3 Tablespoons of  fresh mint, diced fine ( I cut mine into bits with scissors)
four slices of good bread
2 slices of good, soft cheese (use Danish Havarti if you can find it; Damerleer cheese works too)
4 slices of fresh oven roasted Turkey breast luncheon meat
One large Granny Smith apple, cut into thin slices.
   Place the mayonnaise in a small bowl. Add the diced mint and mix well. spread liberally on one piece of bread for each sandwich. Lay the Turkey meat on top. Place thin slices of Granny Smith apple overlapping one another on top of the Turkey, and top with a slice of cheese and the other slice of bread. Viola! Simple, easy, unusual and divine!! Kevin in Derby, I hope you will make one and give it a try.

4 comments:

KevinTOO said...

Thank you for sharing your sandwich filling, I'll certainly give it a try it sounds delightful :)

Many thanks
Kevin

Anonymous said...

In 1996 I too was working for the
Toronto station CJRT FM (now Jazz FM 91.1) in Toronto, and like Jaq, found the wages not that great but livable. And too soon found other fields willing to pay me a wee bit more than a college based radio station. US$15,000 wasn't that much then, and really even less now.
As to the sandwich have all the ingredients in my refrigerator as I type this at 16:48 August 28. I wonder what I'll have for my evening meal?
With a glass of white wine, it shall be wonderful.
Enjoy your friends from the UNited States (to Canadians America is the whole continent, which is why I make the
notation diffference).
Personally a narrow boat is a great idea, however they simply aren't high enough inside or so my friends Mike and Phillipa tell me...

Les Biggs said...

Lovely Kevin--enjoy! :)

Les Biggs said...

Hello Bryce,
It's great to hear from you and even better to find out you are a radio alumni like me.
I always think of America as the U.S. and North America as Canada and the U.S.
Narrow boats can be built to accomodate tall people--I have seen them coverd on boat tests in Waterways World and Canal Boat magazine. I think the NB Felonious Mongoose may be one of them.
Take care,
Jaq

NB Valerie & Steam Train by Les Biggs

NB Valerie & Steam Train by Les Biggs