The decision to move away from the reservoirs was made after 8 days. Family had come back and forth and now we were to go into Luton on the bus to have dinner with family without transport at the moment. In the past - this might be useful to other boaters - the 61 bus ran past the White Lion and the Bluebell tearooms and provided a link to Luton, Aylesbury and Tring hourly. Now the 61 has been routed via Bulbourne and the 164 runs through Marsworth 2+ hours between buses. So being near the Bulbourne end makes it easier especially returning after dark.
As it happened son Kev gave us a lift back when he finished work, thanks son.
3 old working boats taken out on the Wendover arm and slid down the incline to rest just past the cottage. Just walk past the cottage and look through the trees. Better in winter before the trees hide them away.
A recently fitted new set of lock gates but still slightly leaking. The gates weigh about 3.5 tons each and are made of British Oak. Canal River Trust have about 1600 locks to maintain and this year 173 gates will be replaced across the system. A lock gate has a life of 20/25 years.
C. I am taking the picture from the bridge over the Wendover arm Junction ( see 2nd picture below).
Next to the Mill, where the tree is, there once stood a Windmill built in the earl 1800`s and demolished 1930. In those days the mill would have milled a half ton per hour. Now Heygates mill 100,000 tons each year, about six tons per half hour. Bushell`s yard was here from 1875-1952 and replaced an earlier boat repair business started in 1850. Heygates can be seen on the map in the bottom right side on the way to point D.
D the end of navigation on the Wendover arm and will moor just through the bridge.
A lot of work to re open the 6 miles or so into Wendover is taking place. More on this next time.